According to the research carried out by our team at Small Steps Big Dreams in Dubai, UAE, most contemporary documentation suggests some melange of mitochondrial dysfunction, dysregulation of the immune system, inflammation, oxidative stress, and/or inability to detoxify chemicals, and contaminants in our environment as the underlying causes of Autism Spectrum Disorder. To support and promote autistic child treatment in Dubai, we dug deep into the theory of metabolic dysfunction in the autistic brain restricting an appropriate amount of oxygen supply to the brain cells, which results in their inability to operate most effectively.
So far, specialists and other medical professionals have not been able to agree on one set remedy for ASD, as each autistic individual’s symptoms and reaction to treatment varies. However, in light of recent studies, doctors are taking into consideration hyperbaric oxygen therapy for autism.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)
This method of treatment involves breathing pure oxygen in a pressurized setting. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a well-known regimen for decompression sickness, a potential risk of scuba diving. Other circumstances that call for treament with hyperbaric oxygen therapy potentially include: ASD, serious infections, bubbles of air in your blood vessels, and wounds that may not heal as a result of diabetes or radiation injury.
The reasons as to why hyperbaric oxygen therapy can be an effective treatment for ASD are yet to be understood and confirmed. Regardless of this open-ended question, there are some clear results that have been examined:
- It has shown to have discarded contamination, such as heavy metals, from the body.
- This treatment has reduced inflammation and/or infection; resulting in the return of blood flow in oxygen-deprived areas.
- New and stronger capillaries are built in the brain.
- Gut inflammation is negated entirely through hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
Effect of HBOT on Behaviour
A new study displays what effect hyperbaric oxygen has on an autistic child. Specilaists examined 18 children diagnosed with autism after they’d undergone the HBOT procedure. Through their examination, they came to the conclusion that autism treatment by hyperbaric oxygen therapy led to a cutback of inflammation, and upgraded cognition and movement.
They benchmarked their findings against: Autism Treatment Evaluation Checklist (ATEC), Aberrant Behavior Checklist-Community (ABC) and Clinical Global Impression-Improvement (CGI).
Though the evidence was largely unreliable (as they were accounted for by parents, and not the researchers themselves), the study demonstrates that hyperbaric oxygen treatment resulted in:
- Improvement in skill set and reduced problem behavior
- Enhancement in spontaneous delivery during oxygen therapy
It must be kept in mind, however, that these two discoveries were not cloned across members, and thus may not be considered as entirely scientifically accurate.
Regardless, having studied this research for the betterment of autistic child treatment in Dubai, we have seen that HBOT can help to improve an autistic child’s development delay.
2008 Research on HBOT
Another group of researchers concentrated the investigations solely on three subjects: the behavioural, communicational and skill set improvement of an individual. The research could only portray a small increase in impromptu enhancement for one subject and improved skills.
Every treatment has its side effects. Complications are rare, but it can still hold some degree of risk to it. The potential risks to HBOT include:
- Middle ear injuries, including leaking fluid and eardrum rupture, due to changes in air pressure
- One can experience temporary nearsightedness – caused by temporary eye lens changes
- The lung can possibly collapse- caused by air pressure changes
- Seizures are also one of the side effects of too much oxygen, a.k.a oxygen toxicity
- Some people end up with lowered blood sugar- especially those who already suffer from diabetes treated with insulin
- Certain scenarios include fire- due to the oxygen-rich environment of the treatment chamber
In a Nutshell
Research done to improve the quality of autistic child treatment in Dubai shows us that hyperbaric oxygen therapy may help to alleviate the symptoms in people diagnosed with autism. Supervised use of the therapy can hopefully and potentially enhance their cognitive abilities, communicative behavior, etc. It can be concluded that this therapy, though possibly effective, should and is still being tested, so it is best to first consult with one’s doctor before opting for this mode of treatment.